Thursday, May 29, 2014

Virgil's Ginger Brew: The Good, the Bad, the HAIRY?

Virgil's Ginger brew has been around for a really long time. My parents said that it was really popular when they were young, so around the 60s-80s. Now, It was quite the journey to get this stuff. They only sell this stuff at certain health food stores. I have pinned down two places where you can get it. The first is probably not around your area, but if you have a Spencer's Fresh market around you, that's a great place to get it. They have a wide variety of flavors including orange, black cherry, regular, root beer, and cream soda. But where you probably will find it is at a trader Joe's. I couldn't find anything but root beer there, but that may just be me. At both establishments, it came in a four pack at $3.99+CRV which is pretty good.

Taste

Now I got both real cola and cream soda flavors for this review. The first I'm doing is Cream soda. It made me feel like a cowboy. I'm not even kidding. It made me feel like I jumped in a time machine to the old west during the industrial revolution. Like back to the future. It was a great experience.

78/100

Texture

This soda is SO smooth and SO creamy! It seems almost like drinking clouds. Almost every brewing herb/spice is from a different corner of this big blue and green ball. With


  • anise from Spain

  • licorice from France

  • vanilla (bourbon) from Madagascar

  • cinnamon from Ceylon

  • clove from Indonesia

  • wintergreen from China

  • sweet birch from the southern US

  • molasses from the US

  • nutmeg from Indonesia

  • pimento berry oil from Jamaica

  • balsam oil from Peru

  • cassia oil from China

The ingredients are as follows: Purified carbonated water, unbleached cane sugar, caramelized unrefined cane sugar, vanilla extract, And natural flavors. ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?! That kind of simplicity shines right through with it's texture.

86/100

Packaging


The logo is two children sitting in wicker chairs sitting at a small table while a lumber-jack-esque, hairy man (possibly their father) serves them their beverage. It gives it a sense that your in "the old country". Maybe Russia or Sweden. All on a glass bottle. You don't see that too often at all. It says "Using Natural Ingredients, We Brew A Cream Soda So pure, So Rich And Creamy, You'll Swear It was Made In Heaven." The truth in that statement is so, so, ughh I can't think of a proper word to describe it. They're not lying on that one.

74/100

Overall experience

I literally cried tears of joy while drinking it the first time. I am not even lying. That's how good it makes me feel.



94/100

No comments:

Post a Comment