First of all, I'd like to announce that... I'm back! Doesn't really matter why I left, but I'm back now and there are some changes. The first of which is that, I'm no longer doing drink reviews. they were, to be honest, too easy, not that I'm saying that ol' Topaz isn't to be respected for what he does, it's just, they were too easy for me. I decided that now I'm going to do flash game reviews. If you don't know what a flash game is, then you are roughly about half of our demographic. A flash game is usually a small game, while they aren't always. I won't bore you with the technological details (mainly because they would most likely be inaccurate) but they are little or big games that you most often play on a computer or smart phone (I think)
Now on to the topic of today's post: A semi-popular thematic flash game from atmos games called Coma. How should I break this down, how about since it's an thematic game, I do story, gameplay, and message. The last shall vary based on the genre of game. Now, for the review:
Story
Coma is a story about a boy who is in a coma and must escape. He doesn't know that, but the ominous writing on the walls and very odd scenery, along with the title, give you a bit of a clue. He also has to explore his conscience to free his sister, who has been trapped in a secret basement by our father. This of course is within the coma. The writing on the wall, constantly bombarding you with the message "ring the dore bell" confuses you, but you ignore eventually. you meet various people who tell you things that you don't quite understand at first, but once you realize what you need to do, some of it becomes apparent. It has quite a scary and intimidating story. You'll still go to sleep at night, but it'll make you think a lot, and about things that you regularly wouldn't think about. And even though I call it scary, I still see it's whimsical and silly side, as well.
( By the way, there's no scoring system, it didn't really work.)
Gameplay
As for the fact that it is a flash game, it is very limited on what it can do based on gameplay. While some games are more complex with their gameplay, many are fairly simple, point and click interface type things. For this one, however, the latter applies. But since this game isn't really about gameplay, and more about story and message, it shall be exempt from my heavy hammer of judgment. In this game, you solve relatively simple puzzles to advance in the story, gathering little trinkets like a hook to pop a large clog in a drain.
Message
The message if this game can be something as simple as "don't trust something just because it was told you first" or as true to the heart as "Holding on to what's dear to you can help save your life and the ones around you" In no way is this game preachy with their message, it's actually quite subtle. I think that you can take just about any lesson you want to from this game, but my personal favorite is "within the darkness, the light shines brightest".
So, overall, as far as flash games go, this one isn't really half bad. It has a pretty solid story, the gameplay wasn't very important but it also wasn't boring, and it had a strong variety of messages. To be honest, I've replayed it about five times so that I could absorb as much information as I could from it. you can play the game here
I like it, but alas, it's not perfect, so I'll give it a B+. pretty good, but not quite reaching it's potential. If you have a suggestion as to what I should do for my next review, put it in the comments, but keep in mind that I only do computer flash games.
No comments:
Post a Comment